Tuesday, October 28, 2008

VeganMoFo: Out of the pantry and onto the plate.



It's kind of fun going through the ingredients I have in my pantry and fridge and trying to come up with a meal suitable for dinner. I was out of fresh vegetables and didn't want to spend any money at the store today so I took these items...


Brown rice, tahini, canned tomatoes and frozen green beans.

...and made Creamy Chickpea Tahini Casserole. I've made this before and it is delicious especially with chickpeas. I didn't have any today so I used frozen green beans. This casserole is so good, creamy and really healthy too. I normally use white rice but I had this bag of brown basmati sitting in my pantry for a while and wanted to use it up. The green beans were a good stand in for the chickpeas even though they were a little overcooked. I served the rice with a bean salad that I made yesterday. I only made a half recipe of the casserole and I still have leftovers for tomorrow's lunch!


Poor little shriveled green beans! Good thing they didn't hurt the taste overall.


Beautiful bean salad again.


On my plate.

5 comments:

x said...

Sounds like a really healthy, filling meal!

Bethany said...

I've become more of a tahini hound. yummy stuff. casserole looks so good! and you even made a 3 bean salad. way to work the pantry!

Lindsay I-F said...

that bean salad looks so yummy!

Jen Treehugger said...

I LOVE Bean salad - that whole plate looks totally scrumptious!

aTxVegn said...

I love casseroles like that. Mix all together, then come back later after you've done some chores and it's ready to eat. It looks great with your bean salad.