Sunday, October 26, 2008

VeganMoFo: Cookies on a Sunday.





I have the house to myself again and the last time I was alone I made pumpkin cookies. Today I made these lovely cookies with almonds. They are really moist, "buttery" and chewy.

I was inspired by an almond cookie recipe here and made some modifications.

Sugar Cookies with Almonds and Chocolate Drizzle

1-1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup soft Earth Balance margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract (you can probably use almond extract here for more almond flavor but I ran out!)
2-3 TB (or more) soymilk
chopped almonds

Chocolate drizzle:
1/3 cup chocolate chips, 3 TB soymilk

Preheat oven to 350F and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
Combine flour, margarine, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the soymilk a TB at a time and stir with a spoon until the dough starts coming together. It should be fairly moist but not runny. Once it starts coming together, I ditch the spoon and use my hands to thoroughly combine the ingredients to make a soft moist dough. If you feel it's too dry you can add a bit more soymilk. Take a teaspoon full of dough and roll into a ball with your hands and then flatten with your palm. Keep in mind that whatever size they are when you flatten them will be pretty much the size you'll get after baking. Dip top side into chopped almonds and lay on greased baking sheet. Do this with the rest of the dough. You'll get about 14 cookies. Bake for 12 minutes and let cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet before removing. While the cookies cool, make the chocolate by microwaving the soymilk for 1 minute, then adding the chocolate chips and stirring until it all melts. Let the chocolate cool for about 10 minutes. After the cookies are completely cool, drizzle with chocolate.

12 comments:

jessy said...

these are abolutely awesome look'n! they sound wonderful - almonds & chocolate on sugar cookies!?! mmmmmmmmmmm! thanks for the recipe - i still have yet to make sugar cookies as a vegan, i might have to try these as they look soooo good! :)

aTxVegn said...

These cookies are beautiful! Do you think you could roll and cut them for holiday cookies?

kmouse said...

Diann,
I'm not sure! I guess you'd have to chill the dough for a while so they would be sliceable. It's a pretty soft dough. :)

Megan said...

Oh dear. I just licked the screen.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I am making these and soon. Seriously gorgeous.

LeAnne said...

Oh my Wowza! How "eat every last one of them" looking these are!

Jen Treehugger said...

Hey - we totally had the same idea! I made mihl's recipe for Almond Cookies but cos I didn't have chocolate or Almond essence I just replaced with Vanilla essence and left them naked. Yours sure do look pretty!

Barbara said...

THey look wonderful.

Anonymous said...

These look sooo good. I bet they were delicious.

Anonymous said...

These do look amazing. atxvegan you might be able to roll and cut them if you omitted the soy milk. It's worth a try.

Bethany said...

they look so good. Love the drizzling effect. very yummy.

Destiny's Kitchen said...

The drizzles really make them stand out! Gorgeous!