Tuesday, October 7, 2008

VeganMoFo: Cheezy Lasagna and Pumpkin Rice Pudding





I absolutely love this easy lasagna recipe. It was one of the first vegan lasagnas that I tried when I first went vegan. I love the fact that you can add pretty much anything to it and it comes out right. Today I had a ton of zucchini so I put them in there along with carrots and spinach. Tofutti cream cheese comes to the rescue here to give you a really creamy "cheesy' ricotta-like filling. I sprinkled a little 'Parmezano Sprinkles' over the top. I love that stuff. I also made another pumpkin themed dessert: Pumpkin raisin rice pudding. Super easy and best when eaten cold. Recipe at the end of this post.






Pumpkin Raisin Rice Pudding

2 C white rice, cooked
2/3 C pure pumpkin (the canned variety will work here)
1-1/4 C soymilk
1/2 C sugar
3/4 C raisins
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla

Whisk pumpkin and soymilk together. Put the pumpkin/soymilk mixture, rice, sugar and raisins in a saucepan. Heat on medium-low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occassionally. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and vanilla and let simmer for 15-20 minutes more until thick and creamy.

9 comments:

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

Oooh... Delicious!

Anonymous said...

The pudding and lasagna look amazing! I really like the rice pudding! I might make that soon!

Anonymous said...

That looks like the ultimate comfort food! Thank you for the lasagna link and review, I think I'm gonna try this!

Carrie said...

Oh my GOD that lasagna looks amazing. I always look at that recipe on VegWeb but you can't get tofutti here. :(

Anonymous said...

I'm making the rice pudding right now; woohoo!

Gina said...

I just found your blog today and made this rice pudding immediately, it was exactly what I was looking for. In efforts to somehow make rice pudding "healthier" I used brown rice, but it still came our delicious! Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

I just made this pudding. It's delicious!! It was incredibly easy to make and tastes just like pumpkin pie!

kmouse said...

Rachums, Gina, Anonymous,
I'm glad you tried out the pudding and that it worked out well! :)

Kim

Anonymous said...

So cool...I substituted sweet potatoe, Almond Milk, Stevia, brown rice and Ginger( replaced soy milk, sugar, white rice and cinnamon, I did not have any raisins) based on what I had on hand and needed to use up. Excellent recipe, will keep it in my files.

mppaul2