Thursday, October 30, 2008

Vegan MoFo: Country Life Tofu Loaf and Mashed Potatoes with Miso Gravy.





I haven't cooked much from the Country Life Vegetarian cookbook because I keep forgetting that I have it. So many cookbooks, so little time! I pulled it out today and flipped through it to find something I could do for dinner with the very few items I had in my fridge. Tofu-Check. Walnuts-Check. Onions-Check. Rice-Check. Seasonings-Check! I was on my way to a comforting loaf dinner. I didn't have any fresh potatoes but I did have -dare I say- a box of instant potato flakes in my pantry. I know, I know. Fresh is better but I only use the boxed stuff for emergencies like today! I whipped up a batch of my fave miso gravy and all was well.

The loaf is similar to my favorite loaf recipe from the Whole Foods website. I had a little plate for lunch and I thought it was pretty good. I think I like the Whole Foods loaf better because it doesn't have rice in it. This one does and you can taste it very much and it also gives the loaf a texture. I spread ketchup for a little color and sweetness. This loaf is very sliceable if you let it cool after it comes out of the oven. I will have more of this for dinner tonight! I wonder how it will do in a sandwich...


A perfect slice with mash and yummy gravy. I also had some HP sauce with it.

4 comments:

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

I just found your blog through VeganMoFo. Your food looks so good! I love the variety of dishes and delicious looking photos. I'm checking out the Whole Foods link!

JohnP said...

I have never made that loaf but it looks good! Sometime try the Country Style Gravy recipe in the CL book - we really like it

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Yay for vegan comfort food. I've been on that kick as well. Your mashed and gravy look so forking good!

aTxVegn said...

Man, those pictures look good!