Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Thinking about food food food and Thanksgiving.



I've been obsessed with food the past few days, going to bed with a stack of cookbooks and dreaming about what I'd like to cook in the near future. Things like Chickpea and Eggplant Kibbeh with lemon garlic sauce and a side of sundried tomato green beans and roasted potatoes, Butternut Squash Lasagna with a basil bechamel sauce, massive layered cakes and fancy cupcakes of all flavors. I've been trying to be frugal lately, using up what ingredients I already have in my kitchen. Money is tight and groceries are expensive right now. Tonight I think I'll make a simple rice casserole and salad because I always have rice and lettuce in my kitchen. So all my dreaming of cooking up magnificent feasts will have to wait a while...

Speaking of magnificent feasts, I can't wait for Thanksgiving. I plan to make my usual vegan holiday dinner (well I've only had one vegan Thanksgiving since going vegan) and it consists of these favorites of mine. Nothing fancy, just very comfort-foody and delicious. I plan to make a Tofu-Vegetable Loaf with Orange Herb Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Green Bean Casserole, Herb Stuffing, Butternut Squash Gratin and pumpkin pie. My husband's birthday falls around Thanskgiving so I will also make his favorite German chocolate cake too. I can't wait.

So before I go, I'll leave you with a picture of my breakfast.


Pita bread with Earth Balance margarine and a drizzle of agave syrup. A banana and English breakfast tea.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

your TG lineup sounds fantastic.

Pita for breakfast sounds like a good idea. way to think outside the box. Plus tea, yum!

Anonymous said...

What is your recipe for the orange herb gravy? Whole foods recommends a mushroom gravy, but I find your suggestion intriguing!
My email addy is fleurdenoir@yahoo.com.

Tammy